söndag 8 maj 2016

Why is This Blog Called Grouchy-developer

I am almost 50 and has been developing software since I was 14. Year by year I am getting more tired and grumpy about all trendy stuff and hypes. This does not mean that I am against progress, I just get annoyed when people get that religious newly saved missionary personality. The worst kind call themselves "evangelists". You know the judgemental types talking bad about all old stuff and thinks that just they have seen the light.

Naturally a lot of bad software has been written and we learn new stuff, but and tools and languages has evolved. Good and bad developers have always existed.

I also get annoyed with people that are not evolving. If we develop software we should develop ourselves also. This might look as a contradiction to my first paragraph, but it is not. It is the non-humble approach to development that annoys me not the new ideas. A lot of developers just copy old ideas year after year, too afraid to evolve.

I did a for-fun-personality test and became Dr. Perry Cox in Scrubs. It seems that us old professionals gets a bit grouchy with years. We are all fascinated by guys like him and even like Dr. Gregory House. We want to be the brilliant minds solving problems often in a lone wolf kind of way. In reality we might be more like Statler and Waldorf sitting on the balcony in Muppet Show.

"WALDORF: They aren’t half bad.  
STATLER: Nope, they’re ALL bad!"

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar